Saturday, August 4, 2007

What do I do about my mother

So anyway my daughter sends me this message on MySpace right that my mother is making a MySpace, remember my mother is 73 years old and already has a 360 that she's totally forgotten about ..I should log it in I know her password had to get it so I could set her page up it was totally impossible trying to help her in IM she kept buzzing me and trying to view my webcam that isn't even installed or trying to play a game think she just presses like all of the buttons. You can't talk to her even on the phone I put it down and she's blah, blahing away same as she does if you are actually in the room no one has any idea who or what she is talking about.
I'll be like "Mother I have no idea who you are talking about" and she's like "oh but I do" ...always helps that does
My mother knows my email, the phone number and my mobile phone number it's stored on hers
I've emailed her and she will IM me with "whats your email" ..hit reply mother.
It's not that shes stupid oh no isn't thick my mother well never used to be anyway its just that the brain doesn't work any more but she doesn't have Alzheimer's oh noooooo she doesn't have that yeah right she don't

So anyway I told my daughter that grandmas can't have MySpaces which of course isn't right as they can, just not her grandma besides my mother would forget her password for her MySpace within a day and I don't necessarily want my mother annoying me on my friends list over there
I mean who wants mummy reading anyway geeze, it would be corrected spelling here and corrected English there and corrected this and that and she would want me to help her set it up oh no not doing that again

So anyway what do I do?
Gotta go login to my old Y account I spose and email her no wait I can't she's forever changing email addresses and will not check her Yahoo one even though she gets an alert every time she gets an email on it as she's always on on Messenger, so I can't email her.

What do I do??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, they do allow Grandmas, I'm there. But you could tell her no one over say 65.

LOL...I really don't have any real suggestion or solution for this one.

Barb said...

Tell your daughter the truth about your mother's mental lapses and be kind, saying how you have tried to fix her stuff for her but she looses track of things. How you hope when you are her age your brain is still connecting all the dots. Being honest, and doing it in a compassionate way compassion will demonstrate to your daughter that you care about her maintaining contact wtih her but it is difficult for even you.

Suggest she write her a letter, and maybe you can do the same. My MIL is suggering from memory loss and we wtite in a little book every time we visit to let her know we did come to see her. Having an actual piece of paper even if it does go lost can be helpful no matter how long it matters.

I know you have a difficult relationahip with your children so it is important to let them know the care you have for them and their granny.

My daughters have witnessed how I have delt with the long and slow decline then death of my mom and are seeing how we (hubs and I) are doing the same for his mom. Care compassion, understanding, communication and patience are important to model for our kids.

One day it could be us in that situation and they will treat us as they have seen us treat our parents.

I don't know if your mom lives near or far. Imagine you are dealing with a 8 yr old and use the same techniques to help her remember.

Was I helpful?

*hugs* Barb^

Missy A said...

My mother and my daughter are in South Australia I'm in NSW, over 1000ks away my brother is in England and my sister in Dubai (of all places)
My mother did email me not that long ago to tell me the dog had to be put down she hadn't told the rest of the family even though they are closer...she thought she had.

My mother is one of those people who you have to round and put the phone back on the hook because shes walked away and not hung up

I told my daughter (if you look on my MySpace she's right on top of friends list) that grandmas have bloggers LoL

josie2shoes said...

Ahh, the joys of aging parents, Missy... I sympathize with you. I am grateful that my Dad opts to have his girfriend use her "machine" to contact us, it would be a nightmare trying to keep him straight on a computer. It's not so much that he doesn't udnesrtand, it's that he doesn't LISTEN! :-(

Barb said...

Just wondering if she has anyone checking in on her. Is there a local community old folks center to get connected with? It must be tough being so far away. My mom an now my MIL were and are only a 15 minute drive from here. Ana called today wondering what day we were going to see her.. I told her Sunday.. so I hope she remembers.

Tag cloud