Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Yahoo launces Kickstart

New from Marketing Pilgrim

Yahoo’s hoping to fill a social networking void with its "preview" launch of Kickstart.

What’s the void?

That big gaping hole between Facebook and LinkedIn. Yahoo wants Kickstart to be a professional network that connects college students, recent graduates, and alumni for business networking and career advancement.

Realizing that Facebook might be a tad too whimsical for that purpose–sheep throwing anyone?–and LinkedIn a too vast–can you introduce me to that person you met once at a conference–Yahoo hopes Kickstart will be useful for anyone hoping to capitalize from their college association.
-- Andy Beal for Marketing Pilgrim



.. here's a link to a sample profile

Obviously I picked someone who works at Yahoo but profile is still blank and basic, the link it's self is the "gobbledegook" link same kind of links as they used for 360 .
You would think though that with Mash and this new universal profile that this Kickstart would be the last thing to come out, its been done in a rush the only schools available are of course in the US and the ONLY reason Yahoo have done this is to compete with Facebook and the decline of membership of Mash and of the Yahoo user base over to a more user friendly, feature packed (compared to Yahoo) Multiply
Someone at Yahoo has gone "quick do something, fast!" and this is their attempt
Its feeble and ill thought out
I haven't had an in depth look at it it yet and couldn't be bothered making a profile on it just to see what features it has but by the looks it has very few and obviously a picture is difficult to upload or set as avatar as quite a few that I looked at didn't have a photo at all vis a vis if you work for Yahoo and can't get photo in your profile its difficult to do.

As one person says in the comments on the MP post "Yahoo got lost in the social network boom "

2 comments:

g said...

Your post is spot on, Missy. I hang around Yahoo Mash for A MONTH. What a waste of time. (And to think I hung around 360 longer. *chuckles*) Anywho, glad that's over. ;D I still have my Mash 'cause I got a few messages from people there looking for me, and just told them I'll come back IF things pick up, perhaps if it's no longer on beta mode. :P

Anywho, I have a Facebook account and it's boring for me too. I mean, come on, I'm not working currently, who do I REALLY connect with? I'm in the vast Toronto social circle, but seriously, I don't think I'll land my dream job 'networking' there. I'm enjoying being an SAHM for more than 2 years now too. Eeep. And I can't REALLY connect with my sister's college friends. I don't have half-naked photos and I'm not too keen on stripper names, etc.

Whew. That was a long rant.

I'm now enjoying microblogging services. I think it works for me. I have a small group of friends, and we sometimes share files, bookmarks, etc., and I see a lot of 30ish people microblogging now too. Maybe Yahoo should look into that. Mash was ok, but perhaps they should have improved that blurting thing and hyped it like Pownce or something.

g said...

Oh, I've had my Multiply account since last year, it's a bit slow. It's improved on photo uploading though, plus I share a lot of music there to a few friends, but I won't really use it for 'social-networking.' What an overused word eh?

Tag cloud