Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The more you know about computers the less you want to know

There are a few things I do and a few I don't when it comes to computering
some have a number for reference

I don't
I don't do auto updates, don't let any programme do auto updates except AVG [1]
I don't let windows save my passwords
I don't save History for more than 3 days
I don't save cookies
I don't let some programmes start when windows starts [2]
I don't install toolbars that come included with programme installs[4]
I don't use Internet Explorer[4]
I don't believe every email I see Snopes link or not
I don't blindly click links

I do
Set AVG to scan everyday and do auto updates
I clear all cookies when I close Firefox
Firefox is set to ask me about cookies from sites not just allow everything
I run three, yes three cleaner programmes Crap Cleaner, Window Washer and Powerfull Cookies
I hover over links before I click them to see where they go
Windows Firewall is ON
Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop is OFF [5]
I store files on a separate hard drive to the one Windows is on
I backup regularly onto CD

[1] No I don't do auto updates, they slow your computer down and most times want to re-start when finished I do updates when I want not when the computer says I should, who's operating this thing anyway I am TYVM
[2] Any programme that starts when Windows starts will slow your start up process so Yahoo, CD Burner, the printer and Word should NEVER start when windows starts
[3] A lot of programmes come with extra toolbars, they are not needed or used so I tick the box (or untick it) and do not install them
[4] Internet Explorer does not conform to web standards and has too many leaks, I use Firefox I can block the things that IE lets through
[5] You know how Remote Assistance works don't you? That's someone else getting into your computer if it's on anymone can get in when you aren't looking

So you might think I'm a little paranoid but I know how things work, I know about open ports, tracing cookies, crackers and hackers doesn't mean I can get into yours it means I know how to stop others getting into mine

If you don't know how to set your History or set up anything on any browser or your computer you should know if you are online and that's online on anything including your phone, you should know how to clear History and cookies at least

1 comment:

Suz said...

I do all this so I guess I am doing ok. I do think I keep my history longer. I do know when I am online. Haha When the big worm came down I added a bunch of stuff for internet explorer that I hadn't put on in ages. Since 7. I always detest updating because it always screws something up and I have a windows updater trying to get me to load a disk for something now that there is no disk to. I swear I just want to pull my hair out sometimes.

Tag cloud